Thursday, April 8, 2021

Taking Arthur to the Grand Jury Select/Carlos Pueblo

 Taking Arthur to the Grand Jury Select/Carlos Pueblo

Arthur is on a Grand Jury Select duty this week, I must take him to the old Astro Arena because it is too far for him to reach on buses and very confusing even for me. I used to take buses to and from airports in Houston. He doesn't like to drive and that is his preference life style in Texas. I take I-10 and turn into I-610 to Kirby to enter that old Astrodom area. After the professional baseball game moves to the old downtown area, the Astrodom becomes a vaccination site while the old Arena becomes a jury assembly site, of course, the formal trial is still at the downtown court houses.

The parking space is plenty and I ask the door man to make sure that is the correct site. Then, I turn away to my eye examination with Dr. Kopel. My attending physician needs my eyes exam report to monitor my blood sugar for my diabetes. His office is near by the Medical Center. Once I finished, Arthur was still not discharged. I drove back to the Arena and passed the security check similar to the airport and waited inside the hall. I texted him and let him know that I was on site.

He woke me up and was outside of the parking lot. On our way back, he tells me that he is not going to vote on elections in order to avoid the jury duty. I disagree. I tell him that the jury duty is a civil duty for every citizen in order to keep our rule of law and our democracy. Of course, there are too many lawsuits nowadays. I would rather live in a democratic society than the other kinds of society.

He is required to come back for the final selection of the duty on May 4. He needs to take another work day leave. The second of his two annual incident/sick leave. I don't know how his company to compensate him because he is an hourly pay employee working on different amount of hours in every day. Like I was on commission based compensation; therefore, I shall not get any unemployed benefit in case I am terminated by any of my employers. I am alright and I take care of myself.

No comments: