Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Watching an old Japanese movie, Wife! Be like a rose!/Carlos Pueblo


Watching an old Japanese movie, Wife! Be like a rose!/Carlos Pueblo

Literally, the Kanji edition of the original title of this piece of movie written by
Minoru Nagano and directed by Mikio Naruse is Two wives of a man. The original
Wife and two children live in Tokyo while the second wife and another younger
Children live at a small mountain village near Nagano on the Japanese Alps. I have
been very impressed with the story narrated by the first daughter Kimiko and the
drama illustrated on the movie with traditional sense of humor. The scenery of
1935 Japan reminds me my childhood hometown of Puli, Taiwan and my recent
trip to Japan including Nagano. Kimiko’s mother is a poet with noble class thinking
of life while her father is an adventurer not quite reach such philosophical level.
One day while on a way out to a movie with her boyfriend and future husband, Seiji,
on a taxi, she saw an unbelievable scene, her father’s walking on a Tokyo street.  
She stopped the taxi and lost her search for her Dad on the street. She went home
reporting to her Mom and prepared a feast for the expected reunion. He didn’t
show up that night.

She is determined to go to the far away mountain village to get her Dad back, 1st for
the reason for him to visit Seiji’s parents in order to complete the wedding requirement
according to then Japanese custom, secondly, to get him out of the misery of his second
wife and reunited with her mother. She finds his new family, wife and two younger
children. She witness the harmony of the family. The second wife, Oyuki, is a hairdresser
and daughter, Shizue, is a seamstress both support the family while her father is fuctionally
unemployed. She also found out that their monthly money order from the village is actually
from Oyuki and Shizue. She decides to ask her Dad to return to the village after coming back
to Tokyo.

I believe that Japanese civilization has been very advanced in compare with the rest of the
world. I get to know something about Enka, a popular hit songs full of nostalgia; Japanese
Samurai movies and the War-era drama; Japanese vehicles and high speed rail, etc. This
classical movies of modern time remind me very much of the old Taiwan where I have had
my childhood and I regret very much that I don’t see any recollection while I make a visit.
I also like to read and write; however, I don’t know if I can reach to such level and I doubt
that I can see this kind of product on current day Hollywood.  

No comments: