Saturday, May 12, 2018

Managing peaches on trees/Carlos Pueblo


Managing peaches on trees/Carlos Pueblo
Three weeks ago, I ran into some peaches harvest at Michelle’s backyard at Austin
,Texas. A few of them were ready to eat when I picked them while most of them
were about one or two weeks shy of ripe; therefore, I took them home for a
treatment, by dusting salt and dry plum powder on the surface, pickling. It was very
tasty and reminded me very much of my life at my homeland. I gave precedence to
have my monthly routine to Austin, yet the left over 100 plus peaches were gone.
instead I saw two young peaches on her neighbor front yard with scarlet peaches
hanging on branches. This neighbor is a very good gardener who manages a nice
garden on the other side of the fence with tomato, beans and peas, and some other
vegetable. He did mention something about managing peaches on trees in order to
obtain the successful harvest.

I didn’t pay very much attention to his experience until I saw his peaches hanging
on his two trees. He said something about getting rid of small fruits before growing
up on every fruit branch. I did see two gardeners working on a plum or peach tree
at the Koko-en Garden by Himeji Castle. Originally, I thought that they were doing
manual pollination for the lack of honey bees. Now, I understand that is for the
management of fruit numbers.

Several years ago, I passed by a farmers’ market in front of the Union Station in
New York City and saw venders provided batches of peach branches with bracts
ready to bloom. I thought of peaches and regretted the waste until someone on
a cruise trip told me that might be a reason to control the peach numbers on a
tree. The farmers like to make sure each remaining fruit to have enough nutrition
from the tree.

I am not quite sure if I can manage Michelle’s 10 years old peach tree, a tall one
with some 20 feet above ground; however, I may manage some lower branches  
next year. I may get a new peach tree from the neighbor’s yard after the falling
nut developing to a new peach plant. I may not have the opportunity to enjoy
the harvest, yet someone in the future will be benefit from my effort.



No comments: