Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Visiting Eastern Caribbean Islands/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Eastern Caribbean Islands/Carlos Pueblo

During the winter time, cruise ships from the north hemisphere such as Europe,
Alaska, and Canada, etc. would come back to Florida to join the Caribbean routes
Easter, western, southern, and Panama etc. Last month, I visited the southern route,
the eastern route was early this month, and would visit the western at the end of
this month. I am old and healthy and all is under my budget. Allow me to brief the
history which I concluded after a cruise trip to south America in the spring of 2017.
Queen Isabella of Castile financed Columbus to make an adventure to discover
West Indies in America. Spanish Empire colonized most of America and her wind
Power fleet shipped the loot back to Europe and the beginning of pirate in the
Caribbean. Queen Elizabeth I adopted the pirate to form her Navy and defeated
the Spanish Armada and the Caribbean America was wide open to the rest of European.
After the European Industrial Revolution, the steam power ship replaced the wind sail
power ship, Dutch and France joined the frenzy to grasp the Caribbean Islands. They
engaged the lucrative slave trade to move African to the Caribbean and sold them to
the north America. This is the reason why there are the majority of Caribbean population
nowadays. Previously, I was curiously wondering if there are better off after one hundred
years and now it would be un-important for my trips any longer. U.S. joined the frenzy by
attacking Cuba in 1898 to push down the Spanish Empire.

My trip on this route, we passed by San Juan, Porto Rico; San Thomas, US Virgin Islands;
San John’s, Antiqua; Fort de France, Martinique; Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia;
Basseterre, St. Kitts; finally reached the lovely port city of Tampa, Florida. Most of my visit
to the port is limited to a short march to the old city for about two hours more or less. It is
phenomenal especially three huge ships or more disembark simultaneously. The old town
is crowded with cruise visitors. Shops, taxi, and other venture are all soliciting business like
Christmas day and New Year day in the U.S. or the Lunar New Year in my hometown in Taiwan.
People were coming home from the city work place to home for the holiday as I recalled the
Railroad authority even made a special effort to arrange college students in Taipei to move
back to the southern area during the winter break. Most of the ports in Caribbean does remind
me the old day of Taiwan rural area in the 60’s.

It is better off as my conclusion for the case it may be. The entire world is making progress so as
the Caribbean and there is a reason for not as satisfactory as we desire as long as we maintain
peace and there is always a hope. The Caribbean issue is very much different from the U.S. or

Europe, Middle East, or even in Taiwan. I must enjoy this opportunity to visit and enjoy it.

No comments: