Thursday, January 25, 2018

Re-visiting St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands/Carlos Pueblo

Re-visiting St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands/Carlos Pueblo

It was in April, 2016 that I visited St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands on my way from
Houston across the Atlantic Ocean to Barcelona, Spain. I still remember the town
, shops, and streets of significant. I followed my habit of march toward the right
side of the terminal a nice visitors center was in front of me with familiar flowers.
I walked back to the first row of shops with one particular coffee restaurant at the
end where many tourists gathered for its free WiFi connection. It was very much
different this year with much less guests in compare with last time. At the corner,
there was a Chinese restaurant, Long River I thought the name, where the employee
was beginning for the lunch opening and kitchen chefs were off the vehicle to enter
the restaurant. I checked on the menu posted on the window that the price was high
in compare with Houston’s Chinese restaurants of the same class.

I continued my marching toward the other direction turning left toward the main
highway passing through a 700 ft. sky lift station to a top, Charlotte Amalie. The station
was closed at my time to pass. I turned to that busy high way to visit Pueblo Super
market. The old fruits stand was disappeared and I wondered around several times and
finally asked a lottery lady for the reasons. She said that due to hurricane Harvey and
Maria destroyed the stand and she was not sure the lady owner would come back. I was
hesitated last time due to the high price for a mango. The street passing by several rows
of public housing projects by the foot of hills and I could see there was water still stayed
on the curve that indicated the lack of storm sewer system. Some mango trees were also
disappeared and I was very depressed for not seeing the reminding trees of my childhood.

I kept on moving toward the McDonald’s at the street end. The restaurant closed most part
but a narrow drive in taking out order, of course, no free WiFi connection. I quit internet
while cruising in addition to phone call and television, etc. I have been back to more than
half a century before myself in regard to the communication. I began to turn back toward
the ship by passing by a shopping center with some U.S. chain stores and a local power
company’s service center with long que out to the lobby. A small Chinese Café was there
at the center and I saw several youngsters went in for lunch, obviously from the ship and
I believed were male staff anxiously looking for the oriental food to calm down their stomach.
Later, a Chinese restaurant staff told me that they went to that Long River for a lunch and
Costed them certain U.S. dollars and in exchange to how much in Renmingbi, Chinese currency,
and on my calculation would be the portion of my cruise ticket.

My beloved daughter Lilizerbeth told me that she yelled at me across the street of the Pueblo
and I didn’t notice. I was sorry of myself for my second visiting of the small town after two hurricanes. Most to the lovely scenery like beaches are on the other sides of the mountains.


No comments: