Sunday, October 25, 2015

Fall harvest/Carlos Pueblo

Fall harvest/Carlos Pueblo

Small backyard grows some fruit trees and vine squash, spring blooming
and fall harvest, all following different seasons. I spread some Taiwanese
squash on a small vegetable lot near the southern side fence next to the
neighbor. The other day, Amy cleaned some dry vine and found several
eatable squashes hiding behind some bushes, some were too old which
we could save for the seeds of next spring. The tangerine tree is next to
the vegetable lot with plenty of fruits ready to be picked up. We don’t have
a good year for the California Meyer lemon, only one small one left.
Quava is gone during the summer due to the squirrel. There are six trees
along the fence.

Tangerine and lemon were planted by the previous owners. Quava were
trans plant by me as a gift from Mr. Chen, my tennis partner. Quava is a
sub-tropical fruit and a favorite in Taiwan and the only problem is during
the freezing temperature during the winter. Mr. Chen’s quava are native
species with a unique fragrance yet small in size. The popular kind quava
sold on the oriental supermarket cost $4 a pound. All fence area with our
neighbors are covered by tall trees; therefore, smaller fruit trees must fight
for the sunshine. We let the squash vine climbs into the small pines and fence
for survival. We can see the yellow flower after the late spring.

I also plant some tomato and cucumber in several pots. In 90 days I shall have
my harvest. This year I follow the rule to keep tomato blooming under 74
degree in order to have fruits. Cucumber and tomato are also with yellow flower.

I am now enjoying my persimmon harvest. I pick them in the fall and make dry
persimmon. I don’t have enough this year yet I have plenty ripe fruits to last
for weeks. Next harvest will be tangerine, after that, shall be tomato and cucumber

until the end of the year. 

No comments: