Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Visiting Castries, St. Lucia/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Castries, St. Lucia/Carlos Pueblo

It has been almost every day to land on an island on this eastern Caribbean route.
It is called Lesser Antilles or Leeward Islands, those islands chain connected the
South and North America continents. I walked out of the ship and ran into a
handsome young man on a welcome tourists’ uniform chatted with me on a subject
of martial art. Then, I marched as usual route toward the right hand direct around
the old town, I visited a public library for e-mail access, Derek Walcott Square, a
Cathedral, and finally on my way back to the ship, I stopped at the front of the city
hall and took some pictures of Sir John George Melvin Compton, the founder of
this island nation and a philosopher.

I don’t actually exercise martial art in any way in my life; however, I read many
knightly and chivalrous Chinese classical novels when I was a child and I always
have had fantasy of Japanese samurai movies. Garvin Charlemagne has a part time
job as a kung fu master and he feels my conclusion is interesting. Kung fu is for
personal exercise as the best and nothing more.

City library is on one side of Derek Walcott Square, a beautiful garden fenced with
a huge tree in the center. Library is small yet with plenty of computer for anyone
needs a computer access. Derek Walcott was a Nobel Laureate 1992, a poet. On
the opposite side of the square, there is a catholic cathedral. It was very busy on
that day full of activity inside the church. I went inside to check after the meeting
finished. A young mother told me that was an celebration of a new lady governor
general taking up the office. The schools filled up the church with uniformed
children.

On my way back to the ship, I stopped by the square in front of the city hall, might
Be the capital of the island nation. I read the statue of Sir John George Melvin
Compton, the funder of this nation. He successful negotiated with London to let
St. Lucia be independent, still honor the Queen as the head of the nation. He
had served several terms as a primer. The prime minister is the majority of the
congress and the governor general is his administrator fulfill his will.


No comments: