Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Visiting Basseterre, St. Kitts/Carlos Pueblo


 Visiting Basseterre, St. Kitts/Carlos Pueblo

St. Kitts and Nevis was the final stop of our Eastern Caribbean tour with Dawn
and the following day we would sail at sea for two days back to Tampa, Florida.
Basseterre is a lovely town and the capital city. I marched through a beautiful
and busy old town toward a pier of sail boats and saw the Nevis Island across
the sea. Then I was under the threat of rain shower yet I was prepared with an
umbrella in my back pack. I followed the streets to a castle like church and down
to a street with a famous bakery and kept on going through a high school with
a soccer field to the end of the long street. I saw a familiar flag hanging on a tall
pole and I visited the rare embassy of Taiwan.

The name of this commonwealth nation is quite long, St. Christopher and Nevis,
and has been developed since Columbus’s discovery in 1492. After Spanish
turmoil domestically, the British took it over. The famous British naval commander
, Horatio Nelson, married a young widow of a plantation owner from Nevis, Frances
Nisbet, while on his assignment in the Caribbean. I read the story at Google and also
found another interesting story of Napoleon Bonaparte married another young
widow from the neighboring Martinique Island where I visited three days ago. This
reading has helped me to understand the picture of Europe at that time. I love the
islands very much even though I haven’t experienced the crystal clear beach,
mountain ridge and many natural wonderful scenery.

Recently I watched an You tube video about the beautiful lady ambassador of St.
Kitts, Jasmine Elise Huggins, contribute a duplicate of a classical building of her
Nation to the Lanteran Festival of Taipei City. I was very impressed of her appearance
and her brief dialogue with the vice mayor and Taiwanese audience. I did enter and
visited Taiwanese Embassy compound on that day. It was raining and the lady guard
was kindly invited me to be shelter inside her guard house. Afterward, the rain stopped
, she took me to the backyard to check on a mango tree with green fruits hanging on
the tree, a pomegranate tree with fruits and  a star fruit tree with fruits inside the
neighbor’s yard by the fence. I wished that I could pick them on that day. The gate
was opening automatically and an employee of the embassy came in for an overtime
work on Saturday. She invited me to the guest room. This has been a two story frame
house converted to a business building. There is a nicely green lawn in the front. We
chatted almost everything about the nation bout St. Kitts and Taiwan. She introduced
me the effort of Taiwan to help St. Kitts hospital building a security system of their
record. She also mentioned the well educate Primer of the nation and I checked out
his name, Timothy Harris, the University of West Indies and McGill and Concodia of
Montreal, Canada. His effort on education has been noticed worldwide.


No comments: