Thursday, February 29, 2024

My old suits/Carlos Pueblo

 My old suits/Carlos Pueblo

Yesterday, I was doing some sorting of my old suits from two closets in the house. I have kept most of my old suits since I lost my insurance agent job in 2001. They are old yet freshly dry cleaned and I love to wear them when I go on board cruises because cruise restaurants are fancy and formal. I am going abroad again next week for a little bit more than a month and I plan to visit my Alma Mater, the National Taiwan Normal University; therefore, I get an opportunity to dress up.

The man's suits can be worn for generations because the fashion code is slightly changed, not like the female dress. A commoner wearing suits can only express neatness and cleanness in his appearance. That is why I always wear a suit to meet people in a formal gathering. I helped my English teach, Mr. Yu-Wen Shen of Shanghai, China sent his suits to a dry cleaner in our sugar factory's residential area. Mr. Shen was my elder sister Amy's English teacher at a girls high school across town. He didn't get along with the lady principal; therefore, he came to our boys high school to teach at a much junior English class of mine. He spoke fluent English with idiomatic grammar all the time. He always dresses up even at our class. I adored him and he was my role model.

I worked study during my college life and my first major purchase was a brand new suit made of the wool material imported from Hong Kong. The tailor was from a small township south of my hometown Huwei on another county. His main job was as a cleaner at our male dormitory in the campus as an ironer to press clean clothes. I continued to have my suits made by his tailor shop after I returned from my conscription and teaching in Taipei. I even brought suits from him to Auburn in 1975.

I started working in Houston and I found suits from department stores. I found what I liked, the inexpensive products from Eastern European countries. I wear suits to schools, work, and visit my clients. At least that I have shown my respect for what I am doing.

Recently, I have earned some compliments on the board of ships. They tell me that I am well dressed up that is the only thing to impress them. I am going to take one of my favorite suits to wear in Taiwan.

No comments: