Saturday, February 10, 2024

I can't bear its frightened appearance/Carlos Pueblo

 I can't bear its frightened appearance/Carlos Pueblo

During my Lunar New Year's three family lunch invitations last week, I ran into three exactly crises similarly to once Mencius described 2500 years ago in the ancient China. I read the piece of the philosophy when I was at the senior high school as well as at the college. Mencius explains the cruelty of seeing an animal's frightened appearance to the death to a King in his home country. It's Buddhism that we shall not kill all living things, animals and human beings. In the Buddhist's world, they encourage vegetarian diets.

I am the guilty one that I do see the struggle of lobsters and king crabs. They were alive when I put them in the pot to be boiled with a can of beer. Both of them kicked the pan cover struggling to escape and showing the frightened appearance. I was so stressed that Mencius suggests keeping away from the kitchen.

People kill animals because they need the food to eat. People including leaders of some sorts go to the war and kill because they have a strong desire to be fulfilled. I prefer the economic sanction than the physical war on the battleground. Of course, we are entitle to defend ourselves and then we can't bear the sight, the frighten appearance.

No comments: