Monday, November 29, 2021

Taiwan after WWII/Carlos Pueblo

 Taiwan after WWII/Carlos Pueblo

After Manchu Dynasty lost the War to Japan in 1895, Taiwan was officially ruled by Japanese Empire until 1945, the year that Japan surrendered to the U.S. There were so many former territories of Japan, Germany, and Italy to be covered by the small U.S. White House staff; therefore, the U.S. allowed China, at the time of the Republic of China, to land on Taiwan and pretended to be return Taiwan to China. What I like to emphasize is that there is no peace treaty signed and also there is no so called self determination by Taiwanese until 1996, a national election of the President has been held and Lee Den-huei is elected as the first President. Of course, Chiang Kai-sek was elected several times in Taiwan by Chinese refugee under the name of the Republic of China in exile on Taiwan. Officially Taiwan was ruled by Japan between 1895-1945. Taiwan after WWII was ruled by Chinese Nationalist under the name of the ROC even after 1996 still call itself the ROC, the second China yet the lawful U.S. still insists its one China policy that there is only one China in this world both China and the U.S. agree. This is very confusing as a matter of fact.

Look at Taiwan nowadays, Taiwan is the 17th economy in the world and is a developed nation. Not many Taiwanese need to immigrate to the foreign developed nations for living. Taiwanese can do well at home in Taiwan and there are several reasons of the why. First, Taiwan has the Japanese rule of 50 years and has established the advanced national infrastructure of the modern time. The most impressed achievement is the literacy rate. It was about 80% in 1945 and now is about 100%. 

I came to the U.S. in 1975 under a teaching assistant scholarship program to have my graduate study. Luckily, I have built my family successfully since then. I credit it to my basic education in Taiwan and proudly announce myself to have my poverty class changed. I know what I am doing when I left Taiwan. I am looking for a better life like most of immigrants, now or before.


No comments: