Monday, November 22, 2021

Back to watch the television/Carlos Pueblo

 Back to watch the television/Carlos Pueblo

It has been more than 20 years that I skip watching the television. Recently I am invite to watch the television again and I accept it. First I watch the Saturday college football games. It has brought back my fond memory of the 70's when I arrived to this nation. I went to Auburn University for my graduate study and this university paid very much attention to its football program and students loved it at that time. Last Saturday, I watched two games; Ohio State vs Michigan State and Alabama vs Arkansas. There is an Auburn game next Saturday that I shall watch.

I have learned the college football game before I enter this nation. People mentioned to me that Auburn had a good football program, as a matter of fact before I came, it did win the Gator Ball in 1974. between 75-77 when I was there, Auburn's football was not in a good shape yet I still managed to attend some games. When there is a home game, the small college town swell in population. The school opens up the stadium parking lots to host the recreation vehicles to solve some room and shelter issues. It is an unique feeling in a college life. After graduation, I have built the love of the sport by watching it on the television. Back then, I could see college  games from all over the nation large or small cities from the early summer to the beginning of next year. It was a big deal.

I came to this nation by a teaching assistant program. Auburn Chemistry offered me a stipend of $375 a month to be a laboratory assistant to a professor and help him to grade the examination. We called it a teaching assistant about 1/3 of our study time. This pay was about four time of my full time senior high school teacher pay in Taiwan. I paid $90 a month for the apartment with a roommate, pay exactly $90 a month for the tuition and fee, and $195 left to manage the rest of the expanse such as electricity, phone, and foods, etc. This is why I am so good with managing my money in my life. 

I didn't have the same feeling at the University of Houston about its football program. it was because that Houston at that time became a huge city. It was more sophisticated as a student. I didn't finish my advanced study and got married eventually. I still watched and paid attention to college football games until 2001 when I lost my job contract and I was depressed.

No comments: