Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Visiting Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands/Carlos Pueblo

Tenerife, Canary Islands was the one of the lovely islands which I got the
opportunity to visit during my life time. The ship disembarked at the port
of Santa Cruz de Tenerife early in the morning with two other huge ocean
liners on the piers. After passing through a park next to the pier, I walked
up on a main street along with a light rail track to a pretty army barrack,
then turned right toward a garden park and came down to the ship, ya esta,
means that is it.

I found several flamboyant trees familiar to me ever since my childhood,
Delonix or Royal Poinciana while we call it the Phoenix tree in Chinese, with
blood red flowers, bean family and fern-like leaves. It starts to blossom during
early summer when students graduate from school and are ready for local or
national entrance examinations. There were so many prose in spoken Chinese
literature of the youth to describe the affairs of their graduation and the expection
of the examination. I ate the bean, made a small net with the leaf frame without
leave to play and couldn’t forgot the red flowers. I found the trees in Oahu Island
at Hawaii and made sure to visit the same tree right in front of an icy grocery a
little bit south of the north shore coast. Three distinguished architecture sounding
the park are Plaza Espana with a big cross, Iglesia Concepcion the cathedral, and
un Museo a museum.

I entered to the city center uphill along with an electrical bus line above. All kinds of
stores are on both sides of the street. The street design are very organized likes many
boxes all goes up or across squarely. At a streets corner park, I noticed a line of colorful
flags hanging building which I supposed as the famous Spanish Army barrack in Tenerife.
Francisco Franco of the Spanish civil war and later dictator was stationed here before
his returning to southern Spain and rebelled. Spanish Empire after 1492, colonized a big
chunk of the new world; however, the former colony gradually departed the empire,
South America after 18 century and the Spanish American War of 1905, Spanish lost almost
everywhere and came to Canary Islands and Tenerife and Franco of which both played a role
in current day Spain.

I walked back to the ship early in the afternoon and was back to my normal mood of cruise
travel instead of the great stress of land trip in Europe and Turkey for the past 5 weeks.



No comments: