Saturday, August 12, 2017

Marching to Vieux from Oullins, Lyon/Carlos Pueblo

Marching to Vieux from Oullins, Lyon/Carlos Pueblo

On the second day in Lyon, I was determined to march on the bank of
Le Rhone and La Saone to Vieux from Oullins. I could view on my binocular
from my window of my room. On my previous afternoon, I did get lost for
a short distance of River Rhine before River Saone; therefore, I was in
confidence to complete the march to visit the famous La Basilique Nortre-Dame
de Fourviere on the hill. In addition that I did arrive the old down Vieux Lyon
and Lyon Cathedral on Place Saint-Jean, Saint John the Baptist.

It was quite chilly in the middle of the fall in Europe; however, I was marching in a
long distance. Lyon’s business city is on both sides of rivers. Gradually, I walked
through a city wall like on my side walk with a college campus on the east side,
Le quartier Confluence and Musee des Confluences on the west side right at
the concurrence of the two rivers. I didn’t dare to walk across several bridges.
When it is closer to the Basilique area, the city neo-Gothic style architectures are
more and more attractive and is called the largest Renaissance district of Lyon. I
passed by a huge court house before entering the old town square Lyon Vieux.

First to see was La Cathedrale Saint-Jean, the Lyon Cathedral built in 1480. A town
square with several brick or stone alleys immediately adjacent to it with many stores, restaurants, bars, and coffee shops etc.  The most famous Place Bellecour and Place
des Jacobins are on the east side of Saone that I regretted very much for not visiting.
Actually, we can see through the background of La Basilique on the hill from Le Place
Bellecour.

La Basilique Nortre-Dame de Fouriere was built in 1872-1874 for the main reason of
stopping the advanced Prussian Army during the Franco-Prussia war of 1870. I read
the history when I visited Berlin, Germany. The church has been almost 150 years
old and is still standing on the hill and Europe has been changed so much. French
and German have been in peace for 72 years and use the same currency under European
Union.



No comments: