Friday, January 27, 2017

Visiting Kona, Hawaii Island/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Kona, Hawaii Island/Carlos Pueblo

Cruise ship moves to the southwest side of the Big Island, Kona
the dry side or I guess it means flour in Japanese language. Kona is
famous for its clear sapphire sea water best for snorkeling to view
the underwater kingdom. We took the lifeboat tender to shore for
a morning walk down the beach front shopping street. We had visited
several places such as the old king’s residence now a museum, two nice
churches, a farmers’ market, several pearl shops, and of course many
restaurants. There were some activities on the sea, for instances, we saw
a civilian submarine, snorkeling, boat towing flying parachute like kite, and
some fiestas near the dock of tender.

My cruise strategy is simple mathematics that I only pay for the cruise fare
and mandatory tips; therefore, I can go more cruises in the future. I don’t
believe that land excursion and restaurant are good ideas. Most of traveling
is looking around of the old town and enjoying sightseeing of different culture.
Luckily, I have had some opportunity to revisit places such as Hawaii, England,
France, Germany, and many American cities. Kona becomes an attractive tourists
town and with many timeshare projects. There are all kinds of visitors from air
not just from the cruise. Farmers’ market is better organized than the one at Hilo
yet with more shoppers. Amy bought a pound of longan, a tropical fruit popular in
Taiwan. I was chatting with a lady owner of a pearl shop while she was looking around
for purchase.  I asked the lady owner again for portea, a transplant from South Africa,
and I received a much clear answer from a flowering expert. She said that the flower
season should be in the spring and the growing area should be a little bit higher. I had
had a very good impression when I first visit Maui some 20 years ago. At that time, our
neighbor supermarket carried such flower at its floral shop and Maui nursery could ship
the product oversea timely.

Kona is not that big as Hilo; however, we still can view the development up to the hill
side with a population of 11,000.  



No comments: