Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Revisiting Lahaina, the old capital of Hawaii/Carlos Pueblo

Revisiting Lahaina, the old capital of Hawaii/Carlos Pueblo

I was lucky to keep on asking people for the public transportation
at Maui and hopped on a bus to Lahaina, the old capital of Hawaii.
I had had a good memory from my first Hawaiian trip some 20 years
before at this Island and Lahaina was one of the impressed village.
The public bus is on the back of the Queen’s Mall where we watched
a Polynesian dancing a day before. The bus tours the same route Hwy
30 south and turned north toward the coastal line. I can see the old
Marriott timeshare project becoming a busy harbor and also a famous
golf course on the elevated slope of a hill. Beaches along the coast are
developed for visitors and busier than my memory. I could still see the
newly closed sugar factory similar to my hometown in the southern part
of Taiwan.

Nobody remembered Mr. Ching’s ice cream store even though I recognized
Immediately when we got off the bus. It’s the same old shopping center;
however, the stores were rearranged. I kept on asking Ching’s grocery store
with a gas pump on the road side toward a winery most of the youngsters
don’t know. Ching told me that there was collection of Dr. Sun Yat-sen’s
stay at Maui when he first arrived Maui and before he went to Honolulu for
high school back to the late 19 century. I had had plenty of time at that time,
yet my search was in vain.

Lahaina is very attractive on the beech line Front Street. I found that old
Cantonese Temple with a better housekeeping and a new statue of Sun donated
by his granddaughter Sun Tsui-fang. The village is much busier than before. We
visited an art gallery for a little while chatted with a well learned sales clerk. On
our way back to the ship, I noticed on the inside of the street, inside of the village,
there were some classical attractive frame building which I should visit next time.




No comments: