Sunday, July 17, 2022

Taiwanese local election 2022/Carlos Pueblo

 Taiwanese local election 2022/Carlos Pueblo

Taiwan has gradually become a democratic nation since 1996. That year, Taiwan held a national election for the President and Chinese shot several missiles to Taiwan to harass Taiwan's leader mandated by voters. There are also a local election to select local leaders in Taiwan such as this year's election in November. My political attention now also includes such local election in Taiwan in 2022. It's more interesting than the mayor election in Houston or the governor election in Texas because that there is serious competition.

City of Taipei is the national capital of Taiwan where I had had 8 years residence experience early in my life. I have also paid very much attention to Taiwanese politic in my life. There are three mayoral candidates in Taipei City representing three different political parties. It is very closed in polls with two major parties candidates leading. The incumbent mayor, Dr. Ko, is not an affiliate of those two parties. His new party nominates his deputy mayor to represent his new party.

This local election will show some indications of the national election two years later in 2024. It will be also a three party race like this year in Taipei. I do have the opportunity to vote for the national President, as a matter of the fact I did in 2008. I am required to apply for my vote and go back to my home town address to vote. I can't vote any other election because I don't have Taiwanese citizenship. It is very strange yet it is true. Chinese can't vote in Taiwan either, of course, Chinese never obtain the right to vote in China. 

Taiwanese can select their leaders 4 years a term. Most of the leaders can only in two term 8 years continuously in the same position just like the U.S. There are examples for the upgrade from the mayor to the President and Dr. Ko and Dr. Lai, the incumbent Vice President, attempt to follow that example.

I like to go back to vote in 2024. I can still stay at my brother's home if I am still healthy.

No comments: