Friday, May 19, 2017

Visiting the old town Munich, Germany/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting the old town Munich, Germany/Carlos Pueblo

I stayed at a hostel in between the site of Oktoberfest, Theresienwiese,
and the Munich’s old town right at the corner of Goethestrabe and
Mozartstrabe. Oktoberfest, the beer festival in October, has been in
business ever since 1810 when Crown Prince Ludwig married Princess
Therese. A simple sketch of the left over festival map was provided at
the inn to introduce the history and participated breweries, some of
them have been more than 800 years. I arrived in Munich after the festival
in order to get a reasonable rate of everything and the site was locked.
Instead, I walked to the old town on the other direction.

Munich was the capital of the old kingdom of Bavaria, one of the 22 German
City states. I entered the old town through the first gate on Lindwurmstrabe,
Sendlinger Tor. Then, there are typical German glory, Museums, Cathedrals,
Theatres, Castle palace humbly called Munich Residenz etc. The old town is
not that huge yet very beautiful and well maintained. Very soon, I had passed
several squares such as Marienplatz, Odeonsplatz, and walked into Karolinen-
platz. It is a lovely garden park in adjacent to the Gallery District. I was attracted
to the pretty garden design of varies flower in the garden as well as some small
garden design on the busy streets of the old town with roses, dahlia, chrysanthemums
etc. which I could name a few.

I exited on a second gate called Karlsplatz, another big square toward the central
rail station, hauptbahnhof HBF a very useful German word for visitors. I had had a
very good conversation with all my roommates who were from all over the world.
Two were attending Munich’s Marathon, one was a new employee of the city
looking for a permanent residence, one was from Swiss and another one was from
Tenerife, a Spanish Colony offshore of the north Africa where I did pass by on my
Way back to the States on cruise, Santa Cruz was the port.


No comments: