Thursday, May 11, 2017

Early train to Munich, Germany/Carlos Pueblo

Early train to Munich, Germany/Carlos Pueblo

I took an early train to Munich on the south of Germany after finishing
two days in Dresden. It was an amended schedule to skip the original
plan to visit Krako, Poland, Zagreb, Croatia, and Venice, Italy due to my
error in estimate of the distance and time, instead, I added Dresden, Munich,
and Cologne to complete a 10 days pass of German Rail in a month period.
The train went west to Leipzig, then changed to another train south to Munich
, passing through several interesting cities in German history such as Weimar,
Bamberg, Nuremberg etc., and two rivers, Main and Danube.

I didn’t actually pass Weimar yet closed to the town called Jena. Weimar is
famous for the Weimar Republic, 1919-1933, the collapse of German Empire
after WWI and before Nazi Germany. It is very nice for me to read some history
of Germany after traveling several times in Germany. Previously, there were
22 city states or kingdoms and 3 republics at Alsace-Lorraine. After Franco-Prussian
War in 1871, those kingdoms and annexed three republic held a meeting at a
Church at the old town Frankfurt, Germany to form a German Empire with the king
of Prussia as the emperor and Berlin as the capital. The empire collapsed and they
met again at Weimar to form a German Republic until Hitler came into power in 1933.
This is why I wish that I can visit Germany again because that there are so many
interesting places of this great nation.

Bamberg is the town which my roommate’s hometown at Dresden hostel. The town was
a capital of those 22 kingdoms which was not destroyed during WWII. I did see the castle
and churches when the train briefly stopped at the station. It is a river town of River Main,
the river passing through Frankfurt and enters to River Rhine at Mainz and Wiesbaden.

Then, Nuremberg, is  the famed city of the WWII war criminal trials. The train continued
south across River Danube at Ingolstadt. I attempted to see if the color of the river is blue;
however, I could not recollect any at all. It was quickly that we reached Munich. I didn’t
see any of the sign of BMW yet Mercedes-Benz in front of the Munich Central Station.
BMW head quarter is in Munich while Mercedes is in Stuttgart not far away, both are two

luxury vehicles in the world. 

No comments: