Sunday, May 7, 2017

Visiting Zwinger Palace, Dresden, Germany/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Zwinger Palace, Dresden, Germany/Carlos Pueblo

There were city states in old Germany famous for their palaces. I
asked a clerk at the hostel front desk and she said that was a residence
of the elector. It is very humble termination of Zwinger of Dresden, the
former Kingdom of Saxony and one of the city states of the Holly Roman
Empire. Zwinger is located at the northwest corner of the old town of
Dresden. I walked through the western central gate of the castle wall by
a small bridge of the river ditch. It was very close to noon time and many
visitors along with their tourist guides spread around the inner court yard.
The court yard is huge with several well designed gardens surrounded with
a square palace buildings which is a museum nowadays. Zwinger was nearly
totally destroyed by British and American bombers during WWII along with
the old town Dresden and rebuilt during the Soviet Military administration
right after the war.

I walked through the court yard gardens to the opposite side of the square exit
to the famous square, opera house theater-platz and Schauspiel-haus. The upper
side of the square is the River Elbe. Hofkirche, the third big church at the old town,
is at the front of the bridge which goes across the river to the other side. I continued
to walk up to the second level of the palace buildings to view the entire palace and
the old town nearby. Zwingergarten and Zwingerteich, a large park and a small lake
are adjacent to the palace. I was very busy to take pictures for my collection of the
visit.

Because of this visit of Dresden, I begin my personal interest of German history. I
do read the introduction of some basic, such as the collapse of Roman Empire, the
rise of Holly Roman Empire, Prussia and German Empire, the Catholic and Protestant,
even Martin Luther and his protector, Prince of Frederick III of Saxony. I need to study
more to be sure that I don’t confuse my readers between Frederic III and Augustus the
Strong King of Poland. The credit of protecting Luther goes to the Prince. There are more
and more interesting cities and history waiting for me to visit if I can in the future.


No comments: