Thursday, May 25, 2017

Visiting the Cologne Cathedral/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting the Cologne Cathedral/Carlos Pueblo

My visit to Cologne was brief and limit to the surrounding of the
Cologne Cathedral. People are attracted by the structure of this
Church when passing by the rail station along with the activity of
the River Rhine just next to it. I did walk close to one of the bridge
over the river, Hohenzollernbrucke, that difficulty of German
language. I was very fatigue for the trip so far yet another month
to go before finishing.

The church is in the front of the central rail station on a huge square
full of people, trains passengers and visitors. It is a Gothic architecture
with high point roof and high ceiling interior. Cologne was a capital
city of an old kingdom of significant  during the Holly Roman Empire
and in 1812, Napoleon I made the North Rhine kingdom as his subordinate
; therefore the Holy Roman Empire collapsed. Kingdom of Prussia and 22
others gathered in Frankfurt nearby to form the German Empire in 1871.
I have traveled in Germany three times and learned some European history.
German have rebuilt this Cathedral after WWII.

I walked to the surrounding business area and entered to a bank to try my
luck to get some Euros. A lady banker indicated that my debt card didn’t have
a chip on it and therefore the bank couldn’t access to my account in the U.S.
I could only rely on regular credit card to have my food and pay the bill in the
hostel and determined to keep on for the rest of my journey. Luckily my final
leg would on a transatlantic cruise to Florida.

I still have had a very nice memory for my side visit of Bonn, Germany not far
away of Cologne. I had always admired one of my cousin on my mother’s side,
Dr. Chen an obstetrician and gynecologist who had had his graduate study at
Bonn University.

     

No comments: