Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Traveling by train/ Carlos Pueblo

Traveling by train/ Carlos Pueblo
In two weeks, I shall return to visit Europe. I am considering again for a
trip by train. Eurail has a multi nations plan which I can select 4 nations
with a non-consecutive 9 days trip for about US$700, of course, I include
the additional tax when reserve the ticket. I evaluate the cost and the
feasibility during the four nations trip, Ireland, Germany, France, and Spain,
by comparing with those train trip which I have done in Taiwan, Japan, and
Spain.

$700 for 9 days train trip means that average trip must be about US$80 to
be called even, don’t you think? This is why I am thinking. Taiwan is a small
island nation with 11 thousand square miles in size, one high speed rail about
200 miles long on the west coastal line and a traditional rail system around
the island. I have done that across the island by rail twice, one trip is within 12
hours period in a day including two sit down lunch and dinner. I don’t believe
that I can pass US$80 a day train pass, instead, I practice with a senior discount
on each train trip in Taiwan to visit townships in short distance.

Traveling by train in Japan is amazing and fantastic. I have done it twice, one
week and two week passes, which have covered most cities in the nation. In
Japan, you can take high speed rail, Shinkansen across the nation, and along with
the traditional rail system. Once you get familiar with the JRPass, you can utilized
the availability of such rail system. Because I attempted to get even with my cost for
those two passes, I had reached north to Otaru, north of Sapporo in Hokkaido, and
south to Hakata/Fukuoka on the northern tip of Kyushu. Shinkansen is very fast with
frequent schedule which I can visit two cities in a day. With JRPass, you don’t pay
additional tax and reserve a ticket.

High speed rail in Spain called AVE is also very convenient as well, especially the
station is inside the traditional rail station, not as in Japan while there are two
stations separated except in Tokyo or Taipei of Taiwan. From Barcelona to Malaga,
a 6 hours AVE ride, is well above US$80 daily average cost that I feel better already.
For short distance ride, I must take a round trip visit in order to get that cost even
and it is due to that fact I miss Granada Moors Palace visit, Alhambra., therefore, I
must go back to Spain again. This time to Europe, I shall try local air flight and local
train in combination. I’ll travel between capital cities in air and  by local township
by train, a town at a time for 6 weeks.




   



No comments: