Friday, August 14, 2015

Repairing garage torsion springs/Carlos Pueblo

Repairing garage torsion springs/Carlos Pueblo
One day several months ago, the garage door could not be lift, neither electrically
nor manually. Finally, I found out one of the torsion springs was broken. You tube
provides many do it by yourself films, I therefore watched several before I left for
Europe and I was confident that I should be able to replace it by myself. I also learned
how to measure three numbers of the spring, line diameter, inner diameter, and the
length of the spring. After coming back home, I began to prepare the tools according to
the film, a pair of vice grits , 7/16 and 9/16 ranch, a stand ladder can hold at least 280 lbs.
and a pair of safety glasses, moving light stand etc. Almost all my friends and relative
discouraged me when they heard my attempt because of injury might occur. I thought
the principle of the torsion spring was potential energy, a very interesting physics, as long
as I watched closely to release or tie up the spring, I should be alright. Ming Chia referred
me to his mechanic for the job and indicated that the cost was not that much.

This Senior Jose came from Mexico in 1978 when he was 16 with his sister. Now he is a
garage door expert specially for commercial garage door, repairing and installation. From
the way his talking and doing the job, I know that he is very successful, it is a successful
immigrant story. He has a house on a two acres lot which I envy very much. When he releases
the spring tension, he would hold that 9/16 ranch on the screw tie and roll the rod. This makes
the safety for no accident outburst. The difficult part was releasing one set of spring rod lock
on one side due to tie nod at the installation and  limited room for the electrical ranch due to
add on sheet rock from the previous owner. He brought in a pair of my springs size, 2.18 inches
line diameter, 2 inches inner diameter, and 25 inches length. I asked him how long would this new
pairs last, he was not quite sure because nowadays the material were all recycled. He is successful
therefore, he has his own opinion towards he world, capitalism. IRS, social security, and immigration
etc. which were all very interesting and that was why a 20 minutes job took 3 hours to complete.

I know the springs keep the energy by stored tension, preciously 28 turns for a 7 feet high door.
when you lift the heavy door by a little tough, the door would go up and down automatically and
easily which is an amazing mechanical engineering. He can tell where to re-adjust the turn to make
the door up and down properly and this is why the auto door opener motor is small power required.
We used to have a different kind of garage door at the old Traviata property and different kinds of
problem, either the opener or the small wheel out of track. It was a chain kind of garage opener
because my painter built a garage not high enough to install the torsion spring type opener. I still

remembered the hardship to close or open the old garage door during the winter.    

No comments: