Saturday, December 31, 2022

Mountain climbing on Lower Dewey Lake, Skagway, Alaska 2022/Carlos Pueblo

 Mountain climbing on Lower Dewey Lake, Skagway, Alaska 2022/Carlos Pueblo

We missed our first routine at Skagway, Alaska to climb on the Lower Dewey Lake due to our newly met Filipina nurse friend from San Diego, CA. She was not able to climb at all. We had to skip at our first back of the cruise. We did it on our second back of the cruise. We walked along the old railroad track to the entrance of the Lower Dewey Lake, the water resource of the small township.

It was more difficult for me to climb up this time due to my hurting left knee. I forgot to bring my knee braces to make some protection. At on point, I made a mistake to reach to a different path other than the regular one, I was trapped for a while and I asked one kind fellow mountain climber to allow me to get down by myself. It was too dangerous for him to come up and rescue me. I did manage to hold up tied a small branch and released myself from such crisis. Even though the climbing path is difficult yet it is manageable even for an old man. The young person can jump around without any difficulty. We turned right on the path as usual for the first half of the lake. it was a smooth with several view points of the small lake, the tap water source of the township came from the top of the mountain melting glacier. There is a rock angle for interested person to fish the lake trout. I did witness some with catches of small fishes and they all let them go back to the water. At the end of the lake edge, there is a path to go somewhere which I forget yet some one did mention it to me. We turned to the other side of the lake. There is an old gold mining trail track left on sight with a small plain of grass and spring flowers. A bar-b-cue stand was there for the mountain climbers with a clear sign ow fire watch. We kept on entering a more difficult route; however, it was improved by the township to make it better this time. I found my favorite spot to view the mountain glacier. I take many photos as usual. It is on a high mountain rock stick out of the path.

Finally, we came to the end of our hike. We followed the sign to get down to the city. It is a divided path for some interests to keep on going to the Upper Dewey Lake on the right side. I did it one time and turned back before finishing it. I was afraid that would take too much of my time. I am not quite sure if I can make it to the Upper Dewey Lake in my limited life time.

No comments: