Wednesday, October 5, 2022

The mid-term elections between Taiwan and the U.S./Carlos Pueblo

 The mid-term elections between Taiwan and the U.S./Carlos Pueblo

The mid-term elections between Taiwan and the U.S. is one of main issues in my current days life in Houston, Texas. It will be on November 8 for the U.S. while November 26 for Taiwan. The U.S. mid-term election shall decide who will control both houses while in Taiwan, there are many local positions will be decided to influence the future national election for Taiwan in 2024. It is more interesting for me to follow the one in Taiwan than the one in the U.S. Of course, I don't have very much to say in both elections. I don't have the vote in Taiwan and I am a minority voter in Texas most of the time because I vote the Democrat and Democrats are the minority in Texas even though we do start voting Democrats in Houston area lately.

I have followed Taiwanese politic for a long time especially after I immigrated to the U.S. since 1975. Taiwan has been changed to a real democratic system governments since 1996. I is still very short yet very interesting. The new local party, the Democratic Progressive Party, is the incumbent in the national level both the executive and the legislative branches. The DPP has defeated the old Nationalist Chinese Party several times and forced the KMT become the second large party in numbers while there is another local party, the Taiwan People's Party, is joining to take their share of the national resources. I am against the KMT myself and prefer DPP or Taiwan People because both parties are clearly preferring that Taiwan is an independent nation and has nothing to do with China.

I prefer Democrats to Republicans in the U.S. elections. I don't like Donald Trump and the conservative. I believe that the Governments can do more for the poor and the needed. Of course, people must help themselves simultaneously like that I help myself. I have no complaints ever since I come to this nation.

No comments: