Friday, October 7, 2022

Never give up/Carlos Pueblo

 Never give up/Carlos Pueblo

Patrick Chen of New York City sends me his autobiography, Never Give Up, via internet Line about his struggle to break the poverty class in his early life and I am so touched and impressed. Never Give Up is my motto in tennis games and I like him to point it out in our life. He personally has told me his story in Taiwan several times and I remember. I got to know him on my first quarter in the United States during the end of 1975 and the beginning of 1976 in NYC. We're on on a speedy ride from NYC to Washington, D.C. to participate a political demonstration against the Nationalist Chinese regime to oppress a victim, Pai Ya-Tseng simply due to his question to Chiang Kai-sek's son Chiang Ching-kuo how much he paid for the estate tax when the elder Chiang dies on that year, 1975? He was sentenced to death for his dis-respect and later changed to life sentence. My brother Yancy took me along with group of Taiwanese dissidents to join such strike. 

Later before 1980, He came down to Houston for his real estate business and visited Yancy and I was there. I remembered him very well. Yancy has mentioned so many times that Patrick tried to have him matched a pretty girl in Taipei when he went back to Taiwan in 1975. The deal didn't go through not that regretfully because my match making for his wife was in success at that trip. One year I was in Taiwan and visited my home town Huwei. I ran into a pretty school principal who happened to be Pat's sister-in-law. I asked a friend in NYC to locate Pat and got connected. He has treated my brother-in-law of Staten Island twice when I visited him, a Taiwanese cuisine and a Korean cuisine both were delicious indeed.

I am glad his success can be read in print for the world interested. I was in similarity to him yet not that dramatically. I also fight for my success up from almost nothing. His father had nine children and relied only for a small 0.4 acres rice field to support the family. It was due to the school educational systems in Taiwan provided him the opportunity to become an engineer and came to study in the United States. His autobiography is similar to the famous Booker T. Washington, Up from the Slavery, I read that book when I was a freshman in senior high school in Taiwan, one of the main motive to immigrate to this great nation.

He has made up his mind very early in his life and that is why he is successful. We don't see that such inspirational writing is popular in demand nowadays. It is fine with me and only people like me can appreciate it.

No comments: