Saturday, June 4, 2022

Asking the passerby for directions/Carlos Pueblo

 Asking the passerby for directions/Carlos Pueblo

Traveling around the world in a frugal way required to ask the passerby for directions especially I am not that good or updated with the current i-phone technology. I just come back for a two months traveling on a four cruises  with several cities in and out of airports, motel, and hotels, etc., a lot of asking plus some Google researches.

My first cruise was a Eastern Caribbean 10 day route from the Manhattan pier in New York City. I was lucky that I invited my brother-in-law to come along. He lives in the city and very good at the city location. I came back to Houston to wait for the second cruise to across the Atlantic Ocean with the same ship. This time, I could stay at his sofa in his apartment. I therefore decided to wait at New Haven, Connecticut due to the cost of five night motel. I first needed to get out of the La Guardia Airport to the Grant Central station to take that MTA North line train. An information center girl wrote me a note 1. M60 Bus 2. Stop 125 Take train 4 or 6 to 42nd Street Grand Station Terminal. I asked many passerby for directions. Stop 125 is at the famous Harlem District, a nice lady was carefully watched me getting down the elevator to the subway station. On the train, two ladies were carefully again to make sure that I got off at the right station. I always ask questions to get help and also practice my language.

At New Haven, the Yale University campus, I also asked questions to get around such as to reach West New have drug store to get my Covic-19 test two days before boarding the ship. I ask and there are always kind persons there to help me at the right time to remind me to get off the bus. I was in panic when I learned that no shuttle bus available on Sunday to the rail station to return to NYC. This homeless man across the Green Park called me and told me to move to the front of a big church to wait for a regular bus, as a matter of the fact that there are two buses can go to the rail station. I got to the Grand Central and following my Google search note to find a bus to the Manhattan pier, a kind lady security walked me out of the station toward a bus stop that bus took me to the end and I could see the huge ship park right there.

The cross Atlantic cruise ends at Civitavecchia, a port north of Rome, Italy. I have been there twice before. The ship arranged a fee bus to transfer us to a rail station and I paid 4.5 Euro ticket to Rome and another 7 euro to the Rome International Airport. Turkey Air sent me to Istanbul International Airport to be consolidated with passengers fully loaded back to Houston. I asked all the way for directions and had a good time.


No comments: