Saturday, February 22, 2020

Visiting Auckland, New Zealand 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Auckland, New Zealand 2019/Carlos Pueblo

Auckland is the largest city population in New Zealand located on the northeast of the North Island of New Zealand. It was the final port of my first cruise. It was a sun shining day very different from the capital city of Wellington on three days ago. I had my mind made to tour the main street of all the high rise buildings. The area closed to the pier was under construction and I had mad a detour to pass the company's building of my daughter's work. It is an international city with many kinds of young people including Asian. Even though it is very different from most of the ports we have been passing through, Auckland reminds me of the metropolitan of London, the new area of London. I ran into a graduation ceremony of the Auckland University of Science and Technology, the newly graduate were marching on the main street toward a city square with two convention centers. I had chatted with two three person groups to join their celebration.

The first group were a British professor advising two pretty sisters in a medical science field.
He was either from New Castle or Leeds Universities and went to the University of Texas San Antonio Medical School for a visiting professorship some time ago. The elder sister was his student in the same field before and wore a red robe and cap to join her younger sister on the side to take pictures and throwing caps toward each other. This reminds me of my miserable graduation during my school life. I was not that joyful when I was at the undergraduate ceremony and was away from the campus when I had my master of science done. Of course I must admit that I never finish my Ph.D work due to age, lack of proficiency, and the doom future of chemistry during that time. Yet I do enjoy to attend both of my children's college graduation ceremony and both of them are still working.

The second group were a teenager looking graduate with his parents. He is in computer science major and I admire his bright future for employment in such a big city. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Kong joined us for pictures. Senior Kong mentioned to me that his ancestor was the famous Confucius of Santong, China some 2,500 years ago. His recent ancestors moved to nearby Korea and he moved again to New Zealand. He gave me his name card for the future correspondence. He is the public relation director of the Korean Society of Auckland Inc. I promised him mail back the photos for them to keep.

I walked in to an office of the Amnesty International and paid a quick visit. I have always admired their work toward the human right for all unfortunate people in the world. Before 1989 in Taiwan, Taiwan was under Chinese Nationalist's rule similar to the current day of China including Hong Kong under Chinese Communist's rule. Human right violation were and are very common. Chinese do not recognize the human right issue and the rulers advocate the nationalism to surpass human right. What the AI organization can do is to inform both China of their violation and we are appreciated. Now, Taiwan is ruled by Taiwanese and respect the human right has no political prisoners.

No comments: