Thursday, September 14, 2017

Lucia of Brazil/Carlos Pueblo

Lucia of Brazil/Carlos Pueblo

At the cruise terminal waiting room of Valparaiso, Chile, I sat next to
Lucia and her friend. Later we met again in the Garden Café on Deck 12
and became good friends on board. She ran into me on a street at
Puerto Chacabuco and took me to the town of Coyhaique on an empty
returning bus. She is a widow of a Chilean spouse and speaks good Spanish.
Her group left her earlier to Coyhaiwue and she hoped to join them there.
The bus driver nicely chatted with her about the town, beautiful Simpson
River and big correction facility. She translated every sentence to me
because of my insufficient Spanish. She wrote a note to the driver and explained
to me that he asked her some medicine. She was a physician before retirement
in both Brazil and Chili. Later I learned that she was a plastic surgeon. We went
to a famous restaurant for empanadas, a kind of baking food with delicious inside.
We couldn’t find a seat on both restaurants and finally got one piece and could
only sat at a bench in a pretty city park. Several couples inside the first restaurant
came out and chatted with her about her specialty.

Then, she likes to have a beer. We walked toward the city blocks and found a
Japanese restaurant. We met a room full of cruise entertainers and beautiful Sandra
of the cruise program staff and her boyfriend, co-worker. The restaurant allowed me
to break my second US$100, first one was on the express bus from San Diego Airport
to downtown. Now I remember the sweet senior couple to guide me to my hostel on
two subway trains. I invited her to have some benefit of my platinum member status,
such as behind the scene tour, two free paid restaurants, a free drink party, etc. We had
had two dinners with her and her roommate separately; however, we got stop on the
behind the scene tour due to non-registered and then she refused to be embarrassed
one more time with me for the free drink even though I got an OK from the CruiseNext
manager, Paroma, another fine character on the ship.

Surprisingly, I ran into her again on the next disembark port of Punta Arena three days later
and had had another wonderful day, a taxi ride of the city and a delicious seafood late lunch.
She liked to dance every night and finally participating a farewell dancing program performed
by fellow talent passengers directed by Sandra, the same charming Filipino girl we ran into at
the Japanese restaurant. Because I was short of my cash and didn’t resolve my ATM card and
mostly not expecting to spend money at all, I avoided her invitation to join her on every other
stop since then, yet it was interesting.


No comments: