Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Angie/Carlos Pueblo

Angie/Carlos Pueblo

After boarding to the ship, I always get up to the cafeteria on the 12th, then
get down to the atrium on the 7th to see around the hotel office area. An
Italian band was playing on a corner bar and I found a seat. A familiar waitress
appeared collecting coffee cups and wine glasses and she was Angie from another
ship, Jade, whom I met in April, 2016 from Houston to Barcelona, Spain. She was
from Jakarta, Indonesia and was working on the 7th bar as well. Yong, my brother-
in-law and my companion, was very impressed her co-worker, another young man
from Indonesia as well who greeted him Parche, great uncle in Malay. Both Malaysian
and Indonesian speak Malay. Yong was just turned 55 and retired from the city of
New York. He begged this well-mannered young waiter to call him Abang, meaned
older brother. I have been very impressed with how well trained of the cruise company
to their staff overall. She remembered me and we had had a very good surprise each other.

This bar was different from Jade with another function, coffee shop which provided all
kinds of coffee, so there were three staff working on the station for a small open area
with a platform for the performance of musicians. A male head bar tender, a female
head coffee chef, and her, an assistant waitress to manage the drink delivery and seats.
She can make drink and coffee in case of crowded guests. Very soon, she knew that I came
to see her only because that I was very frugal and only drank free coffee in the café. Yong
at that trip purchased a drink package and got drink free on the international sea and that
was the reason he knew bartenders. On that previous trip, we even got to know the chief
of bartender, a Filipino lady, trained new comers and certified them on the counters.

I had had a coffee drinking lesson from Eugenia of Hong Kong when I was in Frankfurt,
Germany. We went to a popular coffee shop at the old town Frankfurt for a drink of
coffee. I watched the chef, like Sushi chef, to prepare coffee for the busy waiters. She
gave me some idea of milk rich Cappuccino, Caffe Americano, etc. Angie told me that
the cruise coffee shop equipped better than the Starbuck’s. I was amazed when I witnessed
how they prepared coffee and how the clean procedure afterward. She identified what
I drank at home was Expresso. I didn’t have a chance to show her what I learned from
Eugenia about coffee, the pattern of milky Cappuccino, water rinse and brewing coffee, etc.

At Buenos Aires, Argentina, we departed. She was off for that contract and back home to
wait for another contract with another ship in Europe, Spirit, and I continued my stay in
B.A. for a week. I mentioned her to Yong when we chatted about cruise and he remembered

this shy girl with spectacles   from Indonesia.

No comments: