Sunday, September 10, 2017

Disembark at Puerto Montt, Chile/Carlos Pueblo

Disembark at Puerto Montt, Chile/Carlos Pueblo

Cruise first stop was Puerto Montt, Chile, a city of 210,000 inhabitants;
however, the ship used its tender services to transfer us to a small fishing
village, then buses were taken to continue shore excursions. It is the gate-
way to Chile’s Lake district and Andes Mountains. I didn’t attempt to reach
the famous Llanquihue and Chilean Mt. Fuji, yet I did visit the old town, its
residential front yard gardens and the small business area.

It was a cloudy fall day with a threat of raining. The garden roses and dalia
were still blooming which were my favorite while travelling. Based on the
size of the flowers, I could easily predict that both climate and moisture were
abundant in this mountain town. The frame houses appeared in age; however,
still lovely. I had taken many photos from outside of the fences for my memory.
Then, I walked into the small old town business district.

I always wonder how the town folks earn their living. I could see many shops of
dry salty fish products. I could identify oysters, claims, some fishes, yet  some
were unknown to me. There were some other home grown dairy products such
as cheese, honey, and jam etc. I late knew that this area used to be the number
two Salmon production in the world attracted many immigrants to work here
including European long time ago. German immigrants help the aborigines to
repel the invading Spanish speaking force from the north. German villages are
one of the scenery destination and even current day Chilean Army honorary
guards still practice the Prussian military march.

A Chinese store clerk in a small vegetable shop was surprised of my visit, she
mentioned that the cold weather was severe here. I was not surprised that she
came here for a new life even though she desperately needed to readjust
herself. I followed the direction of the huge ship offshore and found the spot

of our shuttle service back to the comfortable ship. 

No comments: