Thursday, April 27, 2017

Visiting Dresden, Germany/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Dresden, Germany/Carlos Pueblo

 Dresden is on the central east part of Germany and one time of East
Germany. I was attracted to the history of the protector of Martin
Luther, the Protestant religious revolution. The train is followed to
the valley of the Elbe passing through many pretty villages of Czech
and Germany, one of the scenic routes on German Rail map. I did find
both statues of Luther and his protector, August II at the old town, a
section of a totally rebuilt. The old town was destroyed during WWII
of heavy bombardment of Britain and American airplanes. All historical
buildings are rebuilt after the war. I am wondering all the time why Hitler
refused to surrender earlier till the last minute.

After checking in to my hostel, I walked back toward the Dresden HBF,
Central railroad station, and north to the old town on St. Petersburger St.
Very soon, I could see the first church, Kreuzkirche, kirche I believe is church
in English. Passing through Kreuzkirche, I could see another huge church, the
most famous one in town, Frauenkirche. There is a big square surrounded by many
stores of various kinds to host tourists. I saw a big statue of Martin Luther in
front of the cathedral and I also ran into many oriental visitors based on the
language which they conversed I could identify that they were from either Taiwan
or China. I kept on going toward River Elbe. Dresden is on the basin of Elbe.

The Elbe at Dresden is as busy as Frankfort and many German river cities for river
cruises. I found out the bridge for pedestrian to cross for my lunch with my U.S. credit
card as the clerk at the inn recommended. I saw a shining golden statue of August II
on his house at the other end of the bridge. He was the famous one of the elector and
the king of Saxony. Elector of what? Elector of the Holly Roman Empire. I understand
easily why the Protestant can be survived from the beginning, with a military force
behind. I always enjoy reading history to understand how we are from in the current world civilization.

I did find my Chinese restaurant several blocks north of the bridge, another section of
this more than half a million population city. I began to walk back to the old town. The
third large church, Hofkirche, is on the other end of the beginning walk. I’ll have my visit
to the king’s residence, very humble claim of ZwingerPalace of the old Kingdom of Saxony.
I was still looking for a bank where I could have some Euro for the rest of my Germany

visit. 

No comments: