Saturday, February 13, 2016

Visiting Sengakuji Temple on a snowing day/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Sengakuji Temple on a snowing day/Carlos Pueblo

It was snowing overnight, for the first time of this year, when I arrived in
Tokyo. Snow was piled up on the roof and street and was still snowing in
the day with a mixture of icy rain. I managed to get on rush hour trains
to Sengakuji Temple, a bury place for a true samurai story in Edo era.
This Zen Buddhist temple is located at the harbor district not for from
JR Sinakawa station and is a famous tourist destination. I was very attracted
in the fall of 2014 while visiting Hiroshima Castle, a young political champion
manager refreshed my memory of the 47 Ronins legend and I went on to
check Wikipadia and decided to visit this temple. Recently, there is an English
movie released, 47 Ronins, from Hollywood about the story which is about
how the unemployed retainers to revenge the shame of their lord on a matter
of insult by another powerful Shogun officer. The young local lord failed to
kill the senior officer at a hallway of the Shogun’s office and was order to
commit suicide, seppuku cutting his own stomach, at the same day of the event
and was buried at the temple. One and half years later, 47 of his former retainers,
some of the were actually quite aged, went on to Edo to kill the powerful officier
and his family then surrender to the authority and were ordered to seppuku at
the temple. During Meji era, the emperor pardoned their act and the story became
a national legend.

The temple itself is not that huge, yet there is a subway station under its name.
I didn’t have sufficient time and environment to admire this legend because that
It was snowing and raining, I lost a glove while taking a picture and was in a hurry
to back tract my way to find it. I did find it on the ground yet it was wet. Two days
later I lost it again on my way up to the old ruins of Sendai Castle and never got it
back.

It was very miserable going to place to place on that snowing day. I finally manage
to arrive at Tokyo Tech at Okayama campus to visit my old neighbor Kiyoshi Otani
San. He used to be a bureau chief of Nikkei News of Houston   and after his retirement
, he becomes the vice president of this prestige university. He gave me a tourist book
for his home town Himeje, famous for its Himeji Castle; therefore, I did make a trip to
that city later on.

I also had a dinner with Haruhikoya Yamada San whom I met at a hostel in London
In 2015. He took me to a Japanese dinner at a nearby Shinpocho district. It was very
Good and he also introduced me the name of a raw fish and where it was from, and
was also famous for its lacquer ware. I forgot to take his drawing paper to check on
the place.



No comments: