Thursday, February 18, 2016

Visiting Sendai/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Sendai/Carlos Pueblo

Northeast Shinkansen bullet train driving out of Tokyo station, it was still
snowing outside. Winter Japan is very different from my previous two years
spring and autumn tour, snowing scenery is even more beautiful, snow is
accumulating and pilling up on the roof top, on the rice field, in the mountain
valley, along both side of the river, pure and clean, like American calendar, yet
no worry of the risk of driving through. I arrived at Sendai Station in less than 2
hours, I first got two tickets for the trip to Hakodate, Hokkaido two days later,
then walked toward the information center for the direction of my hostel. A
senior speaking good English came forward to help me and walked with me
toward Hirose Avenue and across the street, soon I was on my way to my first
visit of the city. I have visited Doi Bansui’s tatami house memorial, the ruins of
Aoba Castle, Tohoku University Katahira campus, Zui Ho Den the mausoleum
of the first feudal lord of Sendai-Han, and Sendai morning market.

One of the most famous poem which Doi produces is The moon over a ruined
Castle and I think he talks about Aoba Castle. He was from Sendai and the Castle
was ruined. Bansui sensei was an English major at Tohoku Imperial University and
taught at old Sendai senior high school then the imperial university. A little bit of
more than 10 years ago, I was learning Japanese at Houston Taiwanese Association,
Watanabe sensei translated the song in plain English and I therefore translated into
a classical Chinese poem and was very proud of it. I was not prepared and could not
present it to the memorial for memory.

I then walked again toward the ruins of Aoba Castle 2.2 Km away. Aoba Castle was builded
by Date Masamunue, the first feudal lord of Sendai-Han, a domain. He was awarded the
domain and annul stipend of 435,750 metric tons of rice. He hired a Sake Master from Nara
to build a Sake factory right on the foot of Aoba Castle using the spring water from the hill.
Japanese are very founded  of Sake and very determined to make their rivers clean without
any pollution. The Hirose river is one of the top clean rivers in Japan.

On the next day, I walked to Tohoku University Katahira campus. I had had two professors
at Taiwan Normal were graduated from Tohoku and used to be the third imperial university.
I was lost and finally got out and entered to Zui Ho Den, a very beautiful temple and graveyard
for Date family and some commoners including some prisoners from Satsumo on Saigo
incident. I eventually went to Kagosima at the end of my trip. I then walked back to the city
morning market to get my lunch and two bags of Nara pickle cucumber.

I must mention a very friendly Japanese Chinese restaurant and its owner Takahasi family.
Their friendship is always in my mind, in two days three meals I get to know all the family,
Father, mother, son and daughter in law.


No comments: