Saturday, February 20, 2016

Visiting Hakodate/ Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Hakodate/ Carlos Pueblo

I thought that Shinkansen could reach Hokkaido yet it would be March 26, 2016
from Shin Aomori to Hokuto, suburb of Hakodate.I took Shinkansen from Sendai
to Shin Aomori and changed to an express train Super-Hakucho, white bird, through
the Seikan tunnel which I had had an experience in 2014 visit to Japan. I vividly
remember that trip in compare with fall and winter seasons with such different
scenery. That year, I went up to Sapparo and Kotaru. After arriving, I followed my
new standard procedure to get the tickets for the next trip, from Hakodate to Aomori
and Aomori to Akita via Gono line.

Before the hotel checking time, I could leave my luggage at the front desk and went out
for my walk. It was snowing hard yet I did cover a lot of territory including the city
hall, Mt. Hakodate Ropeway and two sections of the park, actually I did reach part of
the Motomachi area, the old main street of Hakodate. I finally was attracted by a big
statue of Sakamoto Ryoma, a hero of Meji Restoration, his memorial museum  across
the street was closed that day; however, I did follow him to Hagoshima and some other
city.

I went back to the JR station to change my schedule a little earlier for the next day to
Akita and found out that my route was not Gono line instead the second inland line;
Therefore, I selected Shinkansen to Moriyoka then change another bullet train to Akita.
I did miss the famous Gono line yet I was determined  to make it the next time to Japan.
I started my walk from the station on Kaiko street along the harbor toward the Motomachi
The old town Hakodate right turn all the way the Foreigners’ Cemetery. It was snowing
Hard and I ran into many tourists from all over the world, Taiwanese, Chinese, Indonesian,
and some American or European inside the fish market and along the morning market street.
On the pier, there is a Mashu Maru memorial of the old day before Seikan Tunnel for the
Communication between Aomori and Hakodate and remember the sister ship of Hakkoda
Maru memorial  inside Aomori pier and Ishikawa Sayuri’s 70’s hit song , Tsugaru Kaikeo
Furu yushiki, Tsugaru Straight winter scenery. I bought two dry sea weed bags and a dry
spice thinner squad for present.

What I had covered on that day including red brick water front warehouse, Hakodate Beer,
Episcopal Church, Russian Orthodox Church, Old British Consulate, Old American Consulate
And olf Russian Consulate building. There are some Commodore Perry’s memorial in this area
As well. Hakodate was one of the three ports opened for trade during Tokukawa era. Yokohama
and Nagasaki were the other two. Japanese keep very good care for the historical building in
the city. I went to the end of the map, the Foreigners’ Cemetry.

I have had a very good memory of my breakfast at the hotel. I encourage myself to chat with the
Lady in charge in Japanese yet she speaks good English and very friendly.


No comments: