Monday, February 15, 2016

Visiting Kamakura City/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Kamakura City/Carlos Pueblo

After visiting Tokyo three times, I finally arranged a time to visit Kamakura
city for the first time, a city 31 miles south southwest of Tokyo. Kamakura
is a medieval capital city of Japan, Kamakura Bakufu era, famous tourist’s
point including the Kotoku-In, the great Kamakura Buddha. I arrived at the
city very early in the morning, started walking toward the great Buddha
hill, it was a long walk. The main street is on the other side where I exit, is
very neat, street signs and very traditional. I felt like going back to my
childhood neighbor. After making a right turn, it was a real long walk and
I had to ask several times to make sure that I was on a right track. In my
Japanese textbook, there is a lesson that an American tourist family hiring
A car to visit Kamakura. I didn’t do that because of some concerns of budget
and safety.

I stopped by a small Buddhist temple with a very bright golden Kanji character,
written by a famous admiral, Togo Hehachiro, later of my 3 weeks trip, I followed
Togo’s memorial to Hagoshima , his hometown of Satsuma, and Etajima, the old
navy academy and current day Japan Self Defense Naval School.

I have been fascinated by the traditional Japanese movie and story. I watched a
movie set about the founder of Ashikaga Shogunate.  This was an era immediately
after Kamakura era. Kamakura was the first shogunate in Japan, after its founder’s
death, the power of the bakufu or shogunate, went to his wife’s family, that family
lead Japan twice expelling Mongo’s invasion, 1274 at Hakada, and 1281 at south
Kyushu Island, all with the help of hurricane, kamikaze, the wind of god.

I did reach to the great Kamakura Buddha, Kotoku-In, on an edge of a hill; however,
the Buddha statue was under face lifting, yet there was an old temple called Hase
Kannon-In in front of the Kotoku-In, worshiping  Avalokitesvara 736 years old. It has
A very unique landscape, old pines, high pagoda, and stone monument. I can feel
that these kinds of temple and shrine building are all over Japan especially a city like
Kamakura. I walked back to the station and stopped by a bakery and gifts shop for
some present.

In the afternoon, I went to Asakusa for additional temple visit, actually I got lost and
did not find Asakusa Temple yet found a restaurant district near the station. In the
evening, I watched a political rally to protest Primer Abe’s military expansion plan.
A man explained to me that the upper house would hold a vote in July, if succeed,
The lower house would schedule a vote to decide Abe’s future as a premier.


No comments: