Saturday, April 27, 2024

My headache is to keep on driving an old vehicle/Carlos Pueblo

 My headache is to keep on driving an old vehicle/Carlos Pueblo

Living in Houston, Texas, you must drive a vehicle to go around in your life. The city or county can't afford to build public transportation like the city of New York or city of Chicago. I feel comfortable when I think of the city of Los Angeles, California, there is no effective public transportation for people to take either. Driving a personal  vehicle costs money and drains your personal savings as well. I have been driving a 26 years old 1998 Q45 ever since I lost my main job in 2001. I have managed to get by every year to pass the vehicle inspection and repair required. Recently, both my vehicle and my son Arthur's 2008 Camry have been adding to my headache constantly and I can't manage such a crisis even though I shouldn't have any issue. I can afford to replace them with new vehicles yet I can't do it.

Arthur can't drive a new vehicle to work. He works at a supermarket and the parking lot is not safe for a new vehicle. I owe him a new vehicle because I have promised him a new vehicle when he graduates from the University of Houston with a degree. After I lost my main insurance agent's job in 2001, there has been no need for me to drive to visit my customers; therefore, I have managed well to get by with old vehicles on our small fleet in the family. I let Amy and Michelle drive newer vehicles while Arthur and I drive older ones. All of us understand such savings, I mean real savings and investment of such savings in the current stock market.

When the old vehicle has been sent to a garage, it usually costs more than a thousand dollars to come back out. It has been very annoying now because there are two older vehicles now, especially my 98 Q45 which is now at the shop to replace a new alternator. The vehicle quits every month after the battery is dead. In January, there was a power steering pump to be replaced and also belts. Arthur's Camry has had an issue of wires bit by squirrels forcing the check engine light on. Once the mechanic opens the hood, he always reminds me to do the regular maintenance like replacing belts, etc.

It is a two car garage and there are three vehicles in the household. None of our vehicles can be parked inside our garage because our garage is full of old stuff which I can't get rid of. I have many reasons why I always keep on driving old vehicles because it is very difficult to get rid of any one of them. I go away from home quite often nowadays to avoid such stress.

No comments: