Sunday, April 21, 2024

How do I budget myself to live in Taipei twice for two months?/Carlos Pueblo

 How do I budget myself to live in Taipei twice for two months?/Carlos Pueblo

Recently, for my dental repair needs I went back to Taipei once for a month and was required to go back again for another month to complete the job. How do I budget myself to live in Taipei twice for two months? Is it worth the cost instead of staying in Houston for the job done by the local dentist? I did make such calculations before I made such trips. First, it is my third fake teeth installation and it is more complicated involving 11 teeth and two crowns. My dental work including two layers of new denture built, two crowns covered on two teeth, and some minor chain to solidify around existing teeth, etc. is about NNT$100,000 equivalent to US$3,500. This is with a discount of my dentist's taking back my fallen golden crown to recycle it for NNT$20,000 or about US$700.

I have stayed in a small inn in front of the Taipei Main Rail Station for about US$40 a night for about 30 nights with a total of US$1,200 cost of room service, of course, I am alright with sharing a bath and toilet. I am used to the conscription life as well as the hostel in Europe, Japan, and the South American traveling. There is an 18 days cruise and 4 nights free stay at my hometown with my brother should not be counted as my expense on my dental work according to the true comparison.

I am so frugal or you say thrifty in English that I really don't spend unreasonable money on eating in Taipei. I eat like poor students preparing for all kinds of National Examinations around my hotel area, Nan Yang Street, for my daily meals. I estimate about US$15 a day for my food cost including daily fruits consumption. All fancy meals are treated by my Taiwanese friends because they appreciate my old friendship and they are doing very well and can afford such meals to treat me. I estimate those are about 6 days in total.

The public transportation systems are very advanced in Taipei. There are light rail and subway systems around the metropolitan area including two international airports and my dental clinic is only 8 stations away, about a 20 minutes ride one way. I have purchased US$50 worth of tickets for such service and am still not exhausted. The Taiwan High Speed Rail Authority will not allow me to enjoy a 50% discount on their high speed rail tickets and I refuse to take such service and I take the regular fancy high class rail service with 50% senior discount, i.e. two pairs of round trip tickets, a pair from Taipei to Douliu(my home town city) and another pair ticket from Douliu to Kaohsiung for a grand total of less than US$30.

Only two short legs of flights which I paid in cash and all other flights I have used credit points and mileage which I have gathered in advance for  minimum f

No comments: