Sunday, May 26, 2019

Continue my march on the Peak Forest Canal/Carlos Pueblo


Continue my march on the Peak Forest Canal/Carlos Pueblo

Marple Canal is also called the Peak Forest Canal with 16 locks and
a famous Aqueduct on the northward edge toward Stockport, another
small township. I was on lock 10th when I stopped on my previous article
with a very interesting canal export for a conversation of British Canals.
I saw a very gorgeous English bulldog coming up with her owner exhausted
due to uphill hiking. I saw many pet dogs exhausted after the canals
hiking in the morning. I have had a paradise feeling passing through the
canal area; therefore, I do have repeated hiking before I leave Manchester.
After each lock, the waterway becomes wider like a small pond before the
next connected lock. Someone answered my fish question, it is a kind of
carp not what I saw on the classical English movies, eels.

Aqueduct House is right after Lock 1, a very beautiful brick house with a lovely
garden of blooming flowers. The original canal developer built the Marple
Aqueduct across the River Goyt with an ancient Roman design instead of a
modern at that time some 220 years ago by a New Yorker with steel and beam.
Aqueduct is a waterway to get the water passed on a platform to continue the
voyage of the canal. An old gentleman chatted with me on the side of an exit
about the Aqueduct, a place of his childhood playground. I told him that bridge
picture in the information center in Manchester drawn me to this part of England.
I did reach the Romiley Station, another small township to get on a return train
To Manchester and on my second trip to Marple several days later, I marched
further north to another township called Woodley.

There are 2000 miles of such canals still existed in England and well maintained
after 200 years. Some of them become leisure usage for some people for traveling.
It takes about 45 minutes to pass a lock and a long time to make a trip by canals.
Some of them become a park, beautiful park for urban citizens hiking and exercises.
The canals and Rivers in the United Kingdom is managed by a philanthropic organization
Called, Canals & River Trust. There are regulations to followed. My neighbor Ed and Karen
are going to Leeds to take on a barge, a kind of house boat, to travel 30 miles toward
Liverpool. Now I understand how and why for that popular route of 138 miles to have
A feeling in 30 miles.  


No comments: