Monday, December 21, 2015

Visiting Chinatown in Buenos Aires, Argentina/ Carlos Pueblo

Visiting Chinatown in Buenos Aires, Argentina/ Carlos Pueblo

When I am at an oversea trip, I always like to find a Chinatown for its food
And I have had a very good memory for its cost. I know that there are
Immigrants from Taiwan and I like to visit their village, or machi in Japanese
, or barrio in Spanish. I found this barrio chino between Avenida Juramento
y Avenida Mendoza from a recommendation of a new Chinese merchant on
Avenida Rivadavia nearby the congreso nacional. Many Chinese immigrants
Inform me that Taiwanese immigrants are still in the city and well established.

It took one or two transfer subway to reach Jaramento station and I walked
one block to see Avenida Mendoza. Instead of intersection, both streets are
parallel and south of the railroad track is Chinatown. It is quite new in compare
with general oversea Chinatown and has been established since 2007 with
lots of controversial, a strong resentment from local Taiwanese population, and
the arch donation 500,000 pesos from Chinese government are in violation of
city building code, in violation of diplomatic procedure of the department of
foreign affairs etc. I found out the information on the internet after returning
home indeed a Formosan Presbyterian Church staff did tell me the story. That
church is across a Taiwanese owner supermarket, Eastern Asia, which is a permanent
place to get information of Taiwanese immigrants. According to estimate, Taiwanese
immigrants shrink to 10,000 while Chinese population reaches to 200,000 now a day.

I got the Taiwanese immigrants information from a brief conversation at a pizza
restaurant by a railroad stop. I guess now the name is barrio chino on Jaramento.
She referred me to Eastern Asia store, yet I found the church and Chinese school
across the street. It was very interesting to meet my fellow Taiwanese in such a
strange country. This lady and her co-worker stopped their work and chatted with
me for a while. I had had my questions of this rich nation answered. I am very
impressed such small church, about 100 members can obtain a big church with
school facility and function.

Before the church visit, I did take a train ride to the city of Tiger at the end of the
track. The train is on the way to a suburban passing by many beautiful subdivions
which we call in Texas.






No comments: