Saturday, December 19, 2015

My first visit to Buenos Aires, Argentina/Carlos Pueblo

My first visit to Buenos Aires, Argentina/Carlos Pueblo

There are two reasons why I desire to visit Buenos Aires, Argentina, first
an immigration story of an Italian woman working as a maid in that city
told by my then 4th grade teacher after daily class; secondly a song called
Don’t cry for me Argentina, a movie story of an Argentina first lady, Evita
Peron. That maid immigrant story has been too old to be verified, yet the
song has been very popular ever since the movie coming out. I have had a
piece of my thought in Chinese language in my blog(1/26/2014.)

Argentina is a difficulty of difficulties. Territory is 80 times bigger than Taiwan
, 10 times larger than Texas and only has 41 million population yet is still
struggling with all kinds of problem. I was on a city bus from Ezeiza Airport
to downtown Buenos Aires, a Paraguayan architect was asking me if I was
disappointed with the scenery of the old run down streets. It remind me my
old home town Huwei, Taiwan some 50 years ago. Building is urgently
needed to have a power wash, what we have seen the pretty European style
buildings are in downtown area built some 150 years before when the nation
was top 7 economic around the globe. He said that European architects were
pulling in to the city to build the most modern city of the world.

Due to my first visit, I am not familiar with the national infrastructure, I must
give up my three desired visits of the country, Iquaz falls, Mendoza vineyards/
Aconcaqua peak, and Formosa province. I was from a place in Asia called Formosa,
that means beautiful, Taiwan. I shall save the transportation cost to have another
visit of the nation one more time.

At the hostel, I run into a group of European youngster who are volunteers to help
the native kids mathematics and some other school work. The term is three months
and after that NGO program arranges them to tour South American nations. It has
been two months so far hence the youngsters speak good Spanish at the time I meet
them.

I am always concerned with the living cost of such a big metropolitan city, I therefore,
boil the tap water instead of buying drinking water, making simple meat soup and
steak instead of going to restaurant, drinking beer and eating tomato as daily fruit.
At the time of my visit, there were two exchange rate for US dollar versus Argentina
peso; 1:9.5 official rate and 1:14.5 black market rate. I have had  both and came down
with 1:13 overall.





No comments: