Friday, February 26, 2021

The Early Enlistment in 1971/Carlos Pueblo

The early enlistment in 1971/Carlos Pueblo An old classmate mentions that I must appreciate what the opportunity the Nationalist Chinese regime in Taiwan for providing me to study at Taiwan Normal University between 1967 to 1971. This is my final piece of argument for that issue. I don't need to thank any of such idea because that I have fullfill my obligation to that nation, two years in the army and two years in teaching. The Nationalist should appreciate that Taiwan has provided a space for their exile after Communist China kicked them out of China. If Imperial Japanese didn't invade China before WWII, Taiwan would be still a part of Japan. Japan is a better nation than China, either the Nationalist or the Communist. Fortunately, Taiwan is currently under a genuine Taiwanese government and they don't want to have anything to do with China. I was struggling three years in study at the college with failing grades all over. My excuses were that I worked too much as private tutors to earn money to support my Chemistry major study. Finally, there was only one more class to be completed, the analytical organic chemistry which I joined another four students to make it up in the summer. There was a make up class with our own tuitions to support the course. Once I got that four credit hours, I was ready to be graduated from the campus. Because that I missed the school appointment to teach at a high school, I was drafted immediately to the navy for three years obligation service. And also because of my poor grade point average, I was rejected to become a ROTC two years army service. Another choice was to volunteer an early enlistment to be drafted to the army with fellow college graduates with poor academic grade point average. I wrote a letter to an Anti-Commuinst Youth Group chairman of the board to help me to get drafted to the army to save one year service. Mr. Sung Shi-suen assigned his chief of staff, a full bird army colonel, Bien Jin-ping for further assistance. Bien directed me to another major at a campus of the National Defense Department at a suburban area of Taipei. This major guided me to the army and after three months infantry training, I was sent to the rontier across the Chinese coastal city of Armoy for two years. It is easy to describe now after more than half of a century of my life. It was really a hardship to bear. What I can say now is that the two years in the army has made me a grown man. I can handle most of the hardship later in my life.

No comments: