Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Visiting two Palaces in Copenhagen, Denmark/Carlos Pueblo

Visiting two Palaces in Copenhagen, Denmark/Carlos Pueblo

During the early 80’s, I got to know a Danish furniture store in Houston
area and fell in love with Danish style furniture, rosewood and teak
veneer desks, cabinets, dining table and bedroom sets etc. I still have them
after some 35 years. The young owner back that time showed me some
palace furniture and explained the contemporary idea of the Scandinavian
taste. It is very different from what I have seen for the style during the
American Revolution before and after, of course, what I am talking is in
the commoners’ possession not at the level of the Palace. I did walk to two
Palaces in Copenhagen, Christiansborg Palace and Rosenborg Castle not far
away from each other.  

The old town is well maintained and not that big for walk. I started from the
Rail central station passing through Tivoli Gardens, a private carnival facility
with unique architecture similar with the Disneyland yet smaller. It was not
open at the time when I passed by. Very soon I could see Christiansborg
Palace not far away by a canal, a kind of waterway surround the castle or
Palace everywhere in Europe or Japan. It connects to the harbor like a ring or
we call it oxbow in Texas., further north away is the cruise terminal. A museum
next to the Palace was not open at that time. The employee were coming to
work at that time and a few vehicles enter to the court yard. I believe that the
Palace is becoming to be a museum or an office of the Kingdom.

I cut through the old town shopping area toward the Sankt Jargens Lake, five
bridges on it and make it look like 6 small lakes. The city makes it to be garden
and wildlife refuge. Many different colors flowers, landscape, white swan, and
cranes etc. At one street, I turned again to visit Rosenborg Castle, an active
Palace for the Queen of the Kingdom. A pair of young Taiwanese lady tourists
were busy reading a tourist guide book about the Castle. One of them told me
that Denmark was a powerful kingdom once before and that is why Greenland
belonged to her. Later, that brought me to check it out from the internet, because
of Norway, Denmark got an opportunity to annex Greenland and Faroe Islands.
Denmark is about 16,000 sq miles with 5.7 million population.

I had watched the Palace guards to have their regular morning practice for some
time until the marching band went out of the Palace Garden to the street. I then
ran into to a group of Taiwanese from Tainan touring the Queen’s Rose Garden.
Both Palaces are very solid and beautiful and are a little bit difference from France.


No comments: