Monday, September 11, 2023

Water melon is my favorite fruit/Carlos Pueblo

 Water melon is my favorite fruit/Carlos Pueblo

Water melon has been my favorite fruit ever since my childhood time in Taiwan. There has been several stages in my life to deal with the water melon. First, I had to rely on my mother's grocery shopping; second, I could purchase a small cut piece when I had monthly allowance from my father while I was out on studying at a senior high school in Taipei; third, I earned some fees as a tutor outside of the college. Finally, I could afford to purchase a whole water melon after I was in the conscription with a meager allowance as an army draft solider. Water melon is generally not expansive. After I became a school teacher, especially after my immigration to the U.S., I can afford to purchase as many water melons as I can consume.

Until recently, I have learned how to pick up a good water melon. I have learned the trick from the You Tube videos. Firs, you check to both bottoms with a yellow belly bottom means that's mature while the opposite end bottom must be with a minimum size. Second, check the yellow spot on the surface. It is  where the part of the melon sit on the ground. It is better with a nice orange color. Third, a hollow sound when you tap it.

Most of my picking water melon experience, I don't really get it; therefore, I have relied on my luck. If I don't get a good water melon, I shall feel bad and can't consume the entire melon fast enough. Now I have developed a drink called smoothie to blend the non-sweet or over ripe water melon with some other fruits such as the papaya, pineapple, figs, or mangos to make it more tasty.

Even though I do have a diabetes chronicle disease and eating too much water melon is not good for the blood sugar control; however, I am satisfied with my longevity plus it is good for me to drink water melon smoothie after a hard tennis games.

No comments: