Sunday, September 10, 2023

College friends came from Woodland, Texas/Carlos Pueblo

 College friends came from Woodland, Texas/Carlos Pueblo

Henry Wei and his wife Gin Fong, both of my college classmates, came to an oriental grocery shopping at a new Chinatown area on the other day and invited me for a lunch. I was at a grocery shopping as well on the other side of town. I went to meet them at a restaurant and received a very nice Sashimi treat.

Both of them came to study in the U.S. in 1975 and each received a Ph.D. in chemistry, then both had worked until their retirement, he was with a Swiss pharmaceutical while she taught at Louisiana Southern University. I have been an admirer of them for their successful academic and career life in the new country. They have moved to Woodland, Texas for years from Louisiana in order to help their engineer daughter to take care of their grand children and also manage some real estate investment. I congratulate his success real estate investment in Shanghai, China while he was assigned to that city. He bought a house and sold it with a profit when he left.

We have had a fond memory for our college life and review some of our classmates. I still remember my sweet and bitter college life. I was in struggle both in classroom and maintaining my stomach filled. It is quite interesting to think about it now and appreciate very much that I have come through a long way.

I invite them to join me to take the cruise ship across the Pacific to Japan. They both considered and declined my last minute recommendation, maybe next time. I anticipate my next week cruise in Alaska and a repeated land trip in Japan.

No comments: