Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Return to Bar Harbor, Maine 2022/Carlos Pueblo




 Return to Bar Harbor, Maine 2022/Carlos Pueblo

Bar Harbor is a fishing port and a stop of the New England/Canada cruise route. Bar Harbor is located in the middle of the State of Maine coastal line not far away from the three Canadian Provinces, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island. Our cruise shall stop at Halifax and St Johns. There is a tender service to carry us to Bar Harbor from the ship. On the small boat, I ran into Ivy Pan, my old neighbor at my hometown Huwei, Taiwan almost half a century ago.

It was 1973 when I returned home from Lei-Yu Island of Ka-Moi, the frontier island of Chinese Fu-Chien Shore of Amoy Island after a two years Taiwanese Army Conscription. Our fathers both worked at Taiwan Sugar Corporation Huwei Factory and we lived on the same street with one house between our sector, we were number 20 and they were number 22. We both remember vividly our neighbors and elementary school years life. Of course, she is much younger age than me, she is about my younger sister Grace's era. Yet she remember that I am the second older brother to Grace. I was a high school teacher at that time for only one year. She knows well with Grace and her husband at young age. She lives in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

One of her friends from childhood was in her company. She is a daughter of a principal of Huwei Girls High, Mrs. Shi, Si means Stone in English. Mrs. Shi recommended me to Mr. Lee the principal of Huwei Boys High to hire me as a chemistry teacher. My adopted mother Dr. Pei was a closed friend to Principal Shi and that was why I remember such favor. I have had a fond memory of that teacher's year at Huwei before I came to the United States.

I volunteered to be their guide for the rest of the cruise. We turned pass the white Bar Harbor Inn and its lovely flowers garden before we were marching along the coastal line. On the sea surface we could see the floating balls of lobster traps while on the landside, we could enjoy the lovely villas of the township with garden facing the sea. Right at the fence of the famous Acadia National Park, we turned right toward the town center main street. On my repeated trip on the next week, I remembered that I forgot to point out the apple tree in the middle of the walking path. The house flowers garden at the corner is my favorite full of the Dahlia and Rose flowers.

I recommended them to a lobster restaurant on the main street. Miss Shi loves birds. I asked her about the red head crane on the trade mark of Japan Airline. She told me that she did visit Hokkaido, Japan one year in October to view such beautiful bird.

No comments: