Saturday, April 29, 2023

Drive Amy to her jury duty/Carlos Pueblo

 Drive Amy to her jury duty/Carlos Pueblo

Amy received a jury duty summon yesterday and I waited until a night before to decide to drive her to the downtown. It is not that easy to go to downtown Houston and it is a fact. We got up early to prepare to make the arrival before 8 o'clock scheduled time. I learned to take an HOV lane to enter busy downtown streets.

We all have to answer the jury duty in the United States until age 70. It is a civic duty. Both Amy and our son Arthur are not familiar with the Houston downtown traffic; therefore, I volunteer to be their chauffeur to rid off their headache. 

In the afternoon, she found a time to call me what the procedure was. She was on the second run with a number of 11 of about 60 or 70 left. She also picked up a fellow jury prospect for a ride to get her home and I didn't mind at all. I managed to prepare a simple dinner for Arthur for his night shift work. At about a quarter to six p.m., she called for my picking up. I was at my last three dumplings at my dinner. 

There was a terrible traffic on I-10 toward the downtown. She calculated my time to reach our point of pick up was about 45 minutes. I found out the rider's home area and decided to take I-59 instead of I-10. I entered another HOV lane which was my first time to be aware of, to be out of Harris County. It was very lonely lane with a speed limit of 60 mph. I was not used to be alone on a single lane with a vehicle behind me. Finally, I exit to a park and ride area and the rider directed me for the rest of direction to her house. She said that she took the same route with an Uber Taxi in the morning.

I managed to make it home on a familiar street yet I was not sure of the north or the south bound. Amy explained to me what di happen at the jury room. She had to excuse herself out of the final selection with insufficient English ability. I read about the story and also recent continue civic education with Donald Trump's facing the law. I understand a little better with the U.S. legal systems.

No comments: