Monday, April 11, 2016

My favorite trail of cherry blossom walk/Carlos Pueblo

My favorite trail of cherry blossom walk/Carlos Pueblo
On the island of East Potomac Park from the Park Police head quarter to
Hains Point is my favorite trail of cherry blossom walk. There is this Chinese
Classical essay, the story of the peach blossom paradise, which affects me
dearly ever since I was a school child. It says that a lost fisherman runs into
to a peach blossom grove with a hundred feet trail and then discovers this
paradise. I myself have discovered this cherry blossom paradise since 2010 trip
to the national capital. Only this part of the trail is more than 2 miles and for
the good part of the other side and tidal Basin trail must be more than 15 miles.
I like it because that not many visitors notice this part of the cherry blossom.
Other than the majority of the bulk of Somei Yoshino cherry, there are 400 plus
Kwanzan cherry and some other minor species in the total park inventory.

 During the cherry blossom festival, we can take a shuttle to visit East Potomac
Park; however, I have walked all my way around the island lately. It is a good spot
to take a picture on the bridge separate East from West Potomac Park with Washington
Memorial as a background. There is an unique tree on the west end of the bridge, I
would say a Shirofugen yet I am not sure and yet I do have many shots. Across the
bridge, it is a small garden of George Mason Memorial with a group of New York
magnolia which are after peak yet still charming. We can see more variety of magnolia
around White House area. This kind of magnolia is different from the kind in Texas we
call it Dixie magnolia, an elegant snow white petals  flower.

There are groves, river bank and inland, on both sides of the street. A few of Kwanzan
cherry trees under the highway bridge on river bank side are ready to blossom. I see one
flower coming out. Two wild cherry with pinky red blossom are on inland side near the
parking lot. We call such as wild cherry yet in D.C. they call it the red bud, the flower size
is smaller than flower cherry in general yet very attractive to visitors. There is a tree with
some dry cherries on the branches which I can gather for memory. Usually I forget how old
I am and when I get back to Texas, I would through them away because it takes unknown
time to get the seed to grow up to a flowering tree plus Houston is too warm for cherry
blossom .

According to the map, there are several kinds of flowering cherry trees here on the grove,
Sargent, Weeping, Akebono, Afterglow, Yoshino, Kwanzan, Takesimensis etc. I take all the
pictures to wait until one day I can ask some one’s help to identify each one individually.

One big portion of the trail consists of 400 plus Kwanzan cherry which are ready to bloom.

No comments: