Monday, April 11, 2016

Inspecting the flowering cherry /Carlos Pueblo

Inspecting the flowering cherry /Carlos Pueblo

In 2015 I was early for the Yoshino blossom; however, I did run into an
early blossom of Akebono, a name for day break flowing cherry. The location
is around Roosevelt Memorial as a volunteer park ranger pointed out to me
during a tour of the Memorial. The blossom has several colors in total, green,
red, pink, white, and a blue sky on the background showing in the photo on a
television. Thanks to Daniel, the young man of my host family, his computer
technology and art view. During the blossom, not like Yoshino no new leaf at
the beginning, Akebono has new leaf coming out simultaneously with the red
bud, then red pinky petals, soon the flowers  turn to white. When I shoot the
camera up, there are sky blue on the background. On the picture, the red buds
look like a bunch of red berries.

There are several Akebono trees hanging over to the wall because of more sunshine
and space. There are some 90 degree walls on the Memorial, the original design put
cherry trees on every corner; therefore, we can see flowers on all the hanging branches.
There are also some trees which stand independently inside and outside the Memorial.
Usually, Akebono blossoms a little bit late of Yoshino yet before Kwanzan.

I walked outside and inspected all the Akebono about 20 of them in total. The flowers
draw many visitors for photo. Then, I back tracked upstream on the Potomac River bank
toward a bridge to the Arlington Cemetery. There is a poster of Dr. Fairchild for his work
of the early development of Usuzumi and Fugenzo cherry trees in the Park. Later on, I do
check on the internet that there are 13 different species of flowering cherry in the Tidal
Basin area.

I walked back toward East parallel to the National Airport run way. The official map of the
Festival shows  the 13 cherry trees on the area, Yoshino 2662, Kwanzan 481, Weeping 94,
Autumn Flowering, Akebono 120, Takesimensis, Sagent 21, Usuzumi 50, Fugenzo 14,
Shirofugen, Okame, and First lady. The number are from the internet information. I must
admit that even though I have taken thousands of picture from the Park, I still can only
identify few of them.

Then, I came to a bridge over the entrance of Tidal Basin’s water to the Potomac. This is the
boundary of the west and east Potomac Park. There is an early blossom single flower of

Kwanzan.

No comments: