Wednesday, August 25, 2021

The case of Tai-Chi Mon tax evasion/Carlos Pueblo

 The case of Tai-Chi Mon tax evasion/Carlos Pueblo

Tai-Chi Mon tax evasion has been brought to my attention for more than 10 years. I have had two distinguished college classmates who are disciples of this Chi Kong master Hong who has more than twenty thousand followers. Each follower was expected to pay him to learn such exercises and meditation. He insists such fee is non taxable and if there is any issue out of it, the student should pay for it according to the tax law of the Republic of China. I believe that is also the argument of James Soong, a famous former of Taiwan Governor who has several tax evasion cases against him. Hong's penalty is about one hundred million U.S. dollars and is not the end of the story, he is in exile to avoid further legal issues on him.

I am an outsider and not supposed to get involved in to it, yet I do voice my opinion about it. I don't believe Master Hong is wise to manage his case. Once I get involved in tax audit, I pay the full amount of the penalty immediately and no principle involved what so ever. It is because of the compound interest on the penalty which I don't like to face to. I will pay the penalty and move my life forward. Luckily I don't have that much of penalty each time I have been involved. IRS of Taiwan or the U.S. explains the tax law not us, the private citizen as well as the corporation and most of the time the judge sides it with IRS. I don't believe that the bonus of the IRS employee is the main reason of this case. 

This year on our old classmates' line group, again my two classmates of Tai-Chi Mon have brought up the same issue to us and I have had a feeling that it is not settled. I expressed my opinion again and ask them to advise their master to settle with Taiwanese Government which may be too late. At least, Ho can still practice his Tai-Chi Mon which is also has a religious non taxable status. If he still insists his way, he will go no where for the rest of his life. Many rich people also don't like to pay tax, they put the money into the charity to less their tax burden instead of paying U.S. to use the money to fight in Afghanistan or paying the unemployment social benefit, etc. We can't do nothing while still are making huge income. You can't be like Trump paying no tax for twenty years while is still making tons money as he claims himself. He can afford to hire the best attorney firm to defend him and we'll see how much of such cost and how he can get out of it. 

I pay attention to Tai-Chi Mon case simply because I respect my two good classmates and I am telling the truth. We are the people ruled by the law of the government and we pay tax and make our income peacefully.

No comments: